Amelia Island holly

Amelia Island holly
Amelia sand dune

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Moods of the Land and Sea

This is a beautiful photo of my great-neice Sanna taken by her talented Dad.  It is at another beach town, but I use it to show that there are a few
butterfly sightings now on our island.
It is still chilly this morning and there is a threat of frost tonight but these lovelies are braving it all.


Butterflies are very special totems in our family. My mother was a beautiful photographer and that was one of her favorite subjects.  Below is one of her photographs...her grandson is a chip off that block




                                            Monarch: Photograph by Angi Souza
                                                                circa 1990's

There is a time for everything under
the sun, as the Bible tells and when
one is close to the land and sea, that is a fact of life.  Nature speaks to us in tongues of color, of warmth and cold and monsoonal rains. One must keep still, watch and listen. Then like Thoreau,we will be attuned to the subtle mood of the life force around us.

Sometimes when I wake in the early morning I start to catch those moods. In the shadows, in the singing of the bird (maybe a Virginia Wren) outside my window who is like a little wake up call at around 7 a.m. each morning.  Listening I now hear a sweet cricket or tiny tree frog who waits its turn to make like a wind chime. But to do all that.....I have to shut off the record player that are my thoughts...




No comments:

Post a Comment