Amelia Island holly

Amelia Island holly
Amelia sand dune

Monday, March 4, 2013

Colors of Amelia


The island is a sweet oasis of diversity: one evening we decided to take a short walk to the seashore to watch a sunset.  My camera never stopped clicking and turning as I captured the beauty of the late afternoon.   The scene caught our breath in awe,  When the photograph ends up on my computer screen it fills it with form and color.  The sea  can be so dangerous and yet so beautiful.  This little island is some distance from the gulf stream so it is a sanctuary from the storms sweeping up the coast. Only two small bridges connects us to the mainland so we are glad of that .

Today is Monday and we start a cold week, it reached around 27 degrees last evening which is a record breaker.  There is a Florida winter here though blessedly we are immune from snowstorms and ice. From living most of my days in New England, though, when I see a watery puddle on the blacktop, I automatically skirt around it.  Habits like that are hard to get rid of.

The sunrises and sunsets here are so spirit-filling that they have imbued my paintings: 
here is one of them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment