Amelia Island holly

Amelia Island holly
Amelia sand dune

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Birds of a Feather

                                                 photo by Angi Souza        


Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
                                                    Emily Dickenson




Our Island constantly delights us with wild birds of all types and feather.  I am always reminded of Emily Dickenson's lovely poem when I come upon a feather that has been left as a gift.  We have
peacocks roaming about our home, sometimes we see them and sometimes there are
just two little messages.  We never do see the big wonderful plumes, just these.





All of the feathered guests are attracted by our backyard birdbath: we do not put out food as there is usually plenty around to satisfy them.  
We have had big peacocks in the bath and tiny bluebirds and even three hawks at one time
 in its cool water.
When I find that last photo I will share it....it was an event for our back yard.

Of course, these feathered friends are also wonderful impetus and models for art.

This is a photo of a blue heron (I think, must brush up on my birdnames), I captured digitally in the Greenway here on the Island.  The Greenway is a dedicated preserve going right through the island where wildlife abounds and where one can walk (carefully).


The photo reminded me of a painting I had done a few years back from a photograph I took of
a stately heron waiting for a bite of lunch.

 I call the painting The Sentry,  it was a watercolor I later sold.


The Sentry
by artist
Sandra J. Pineault
watercolor on smooth paper

I achieved the landscape using saran wrap which is a fun way to get marvelous shapes and colors.


There will be, you can be sure, more to tell of the wildlife here on Amelia.










No comments:

Post a Comment